Saturday 18 May 2013

THE GOD OF JUDGMENT AND GRACE




THE GOD OF JUDGEMENT AND GRACE


Why place judgement first?  Firstly, Jesus did in the two synoptic passages below; it is better to finish on Love and Grace; and it is not possible to see Love without noting Judgement first.

Matthew 23:23
“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Luke 11:42
“Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.

In each passage, justice comes first!  Jesus would be the World’s best Barrister; but He is coming as Judge.  Mercy and love can be offered as grace within the proclamation of the Gospel, in this life.

I notice, on good authority, a Vicar and a Lay Reader, who have changed the balance of God’s word: “there is no Satan”, and “everybody goes to Heaven” – to be politically correct, and socially acceptable.  To market a product inaccurately in commerce, is a criminal offence; to portray the Christian message in a modified state, knowingly, is to be cursed by God’s wrath; especially on those who claim authority, and hold responsibility in Christ’s Church.  One highly respected vicar did change his view, during our house group he was leading.

Today's society seriously lacks a sense of Judgment to follow death (Hebrews 9:27).  This was illustrated for me in a twelve hour time slot listening to the BBC Radio 4, and 24 Hour News:
in a detailed programme on the Director Zeffirelli, there was no mention of his epic film "Jesus of Nazareth"; a very rich and famous American fashion star, who experienced tragedies, and careless living was exalted; similarly a Pop Star's mother, who led a dissolute life and brought several children into the World outside marriage, but the cruelty of judgmental Nuns was stressed; Jo Brand the comedienne was rightly criticised for a bad joke encouraging violence - for which she quickly apologized (exaggeration is a form of humour - in the Bible it is called Oriental Hyperbole); Sir Elton John, in a  same sex relation, was awarded France's highest civilian award - the Legion of Honour; a newspaper reviewer blasphemed - "My God"; our potential next Prime Minister was described as a "bed hopper".  Our society is well defined by such episodes.  

The famous words from the last chapter of the Bible – although in the Book of Revelation, they obviously refer to the whole of Scripture.
Revelation 22:18, 19
“I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book.  19 And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.


People often try to drive a wedge between the two testaments; but there is much grace and mercy, for Jew and Gentile in both.  When speaking to Jewish people I often referred to Psalm 86:5 – the whole Psalm tells of the mercy of God:
“You are forgiving and good, O Lord,
abounding in love to all who call to you.” NIV

“For Thou, LORD, art good, and ready to forgive;
And plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon Thee.” KJV

Genesis 18:25c   Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”

Psalm 111:7-8 The works of his hands are faithful and just;
all his precepts are trustworthy.
They are steadfast for ever and ever,
done in faithfulness and uprightness.

Daniel 12:1c-2 But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered.
Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.


JUDGEMENT IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

The Parable of the Tenants 
Luke 20:16 He will come and kill those tenants and give the vineyard to others.”


John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.

John 8:21  Once more Jesus said to them, “I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die in your sin. Where I go, you cannot come.”

John 8:24  I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am  [the one I claim to be],  you will indeed die in your sins.”

Revelation 20:12-15
“And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.
The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.
Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.
If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.”

Revelation 20:6
“Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.”

Revelation 20:14 
“Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.”

Revelation 21:8 
“But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

This is why we must fear God, and be faithful and brave in preaching the saving good news of Jesus.

There is a Heaven to gain, and a Hell to shun!

It is God’s responsibility and duty to set kind rules for our protection, and to punish and discipline.  Against the background of human freewill, He can then offer forgiveness and mercy, in the Gospel.

Matthew 7:13-14  “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

The Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins
Matthew 25:10c-13 And the door was shut.
“Later the others also came. ‘Sir! Sir!’ they said. ‘Open the door for us!’
“But he replied, ‘I tell you the truth, I don’t know you.’
“Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.”

The Parable of the Talents
Matthew 25:30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

And then there is the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats (Matthew 25:31-46) – which I take to refer to a pre-Christian society

The story of Dives and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31)

Let us be faithful in trying to present the whole counsel of God.  Let us rush to take hold by faith in the loving kindness and mercy of God in Christ.

Here is a prayer you might like to pray:
Lord Jesus Christ, I confess that I deserve the wrath of God on my sins; but I believe you died to obtain my forgiveness, in your love for me and mine.  Please save me, and accept my submission to your Lordship.  Amen

My own conversion took place in the silence of a Forces Church.  I was reading the Bible through, and praying, when I saw a clear picture – a vision, of myself falling down a deep shaft.  I knew this was a picture of what I deserved: the punishment of Hell for my sins.  But as I fell, there was Jesus standing on a ledge in the side of the shaft.  He held out His hands for me to grasp to halt my fall, which I accepted.  It was the strength of His grip, which saved me.  I heard the Holy Spirit saying: “You are willing to accept Jesus as Lord and teacher; but you must trust Him as Saviour!”

In my recent travels the following experience transpired.
I walked into a church charity shop. The two managers invited comments.  After a chat, I asked what they would say, if someone came in and asked them: “How do I become a Christian?”  To help, I went out of the shop and came in again – to act the part.


“This is a nice charity shop; it’s a church one, isn’t it?  Could you tell me how I can become a Christian?”
“Yes.  What do you already know about Jesus?”
“I have read the Gospels: about His life and teaching; and parts of the Old Testament.”
“You need to realise that Jesus died for your sins, on the cross, and rose from the dead.  You then need to pray - giving your life to God, who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  And ask for forgiveness.”
“I’m doing that, and I am starting to feel better, already!”
“You must learn more about the holy life, by reading the Bible.”
“Do I have to start going to Church?”
“It does help.”
“Oh dear!  But someone once said: ‘Don’t judge the Star, by the Fan Club.’”


I was sitting at my desk in the War Office, about a year after the vision mentioned above.  Like all human beings, I had a lapse of memory: could I remember asking the Lord Jesus to save me?  It was too important an issue to be left unresolved; so I went to a quiet place and prayed along these lines: “Dear Lord, I have a poor memory, but I want to be sure you have saved me – please forgive me; but save me now, please, just in case I have not asked before.”  Perhaps, if you are uncertain, you might pray something like this prayer now.

I was sitting at my desk in the War Office, about a year after the vision mentioned above.  Like all human beings, I had a lapse of memory: could I remember asking the Lord Jesus to save me?  It was too important an issue to be left unresolved; so I went to a quiet place and prayed along these lines: “Dear Lord, I have a poor memory, but I want to be sure you have saved me – please forgive me; but save me now, please, just in case I have not asked before.”  Perhaps, if you are uncertain, you might pray something like this prayer now.

No comments:

Post a Comment